New York Times Interview with Anna Pavlova Part 2


Photo Caption: Anna Pavlova with her dog in her St, Petersburg drawing room, c. 1908-09 from Anna Pavlova Her Life And Art by Keith Money


The continuation of The interview Anna Pavlova did with the New York times dived into many different topics. 

Pavlova never paused once to think how she was going to answer; instead, she was well prepared and quickly responded, sometimes quicker than the reporter could write down. 

One of the topics brought up by the reporter was her daily schedule which the reporter found fascinating. It also showed how productive she was with her dancing because of how she ran her daily schedule.

"In Russia my day is crowded with work. I rise early, at nine or ten o'clock in the morning. I go out for a little walk and then go to the theatre to rehearse. Sometimes I am so busy rehearsing that I take breakfast along with me. I eat it quickly in the theatre and I rehearse until 4 o'clock in the afternoon. Then I go home. I glance over the newspapers and read a few pages of my favorite poet or my favorite novelist."- Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with  New York Times, 1910


Anna Pavlova was an avid reader of the newspaper and reading why she was so well read on so many topics. Reporters enjoyed that, especially about Pavlova, and would pick her brain on all issues to hear her opinions on them; for example, when Pavlova talked about her favorite poet and novelist, the reporter's curiosity peeked.

"Who is your favorite poet?" "Nadson." And your favorite novelist?" "Turgenov, of course." "And of contemporary writers?" "I like Andreyev. But I prefer to see his dramas on the stage. When I read them in  book form they make a terrible impression upon me. On the stage it is different. The characters become human and I can understand them better. I had this experience with Andreyev's Anathema. By the way have you heard that the Holy Synod has forbidden the production of Anathema in Russia? It is strange isn't it? The censor has approved it, the play has been given hundreds of times all over Russia, and suddenly the Synod has stopped it. Does this mean this play must not be produced here either?" "Do you think that the Russian laws prevail in the country too?" "Don't they?" - Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with  New York Times, 1910

I'm not sure, but right after Pavlova asked the reporter on this topic of laws in Russia applying to America, the reporter changes topics, not sure if it's because of disinterest in that topic or maybe they were uncomfortable? It's hard to say, but now that interview shifts back into Pavlova's daily schedule, which I believe could be even applied today to be more productive or get more done in one day.


"From five till six in the afternoon I receive. There are many artists,  painters, sculptors, among my friends. But I devote only one hour to them. In the evening I sometimes have additional rehearsals. When I do not perform and have no rehearsals in the evening, I go to the theatre. I prefer the drama-- the heart-stirring drama. Occasionally I go to a good concert. When some celebrated artist visits St. Petersburg, such as  Nikisch, for instance. I always go to hear him, and that is a real holiday for me. I love music and I enjoy animals. I have a fine English bulldog at home. Well what else can I say? That is all, that is my life..." Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with  New York Times, 1910


Pavlova talks about how she deals with her social time where she only spends one hour with her friends, so it doesn't impact her working schedule and her time to herself. I think it's super important that she always leaves room in her schedule for things she enjoys, like spending time with her animals and seeing art that reenergizes her. Pavlova always leaves time for herself to relax instead of being work work work. Even though she's devoted to her career, she's not a workaholic about it where she leaves no time to herself. She always has in her schedule time to herself to do whatever she desires.


The reporter seeing Pavlova is devoted and lover of the arts, asks her if she loves any sport? Here you see the reporter yet again changes topics which I found interesting since dancers have to fuel their bodies just like an athlete, and it's all hard physical work just like an athlete, but this thought never seems to  once occur to the reporter and he never explores that instead wants her opinion on sports. Pavlova talks about her personal opinion on sports.

"I need no sports of any kind. Occasionally I go horseback riding, but that isn't very good for me. I must keep my body in a certain position for a long time when I am on horseback, and that interferes with my art. You see, I do not  need any of the sports because my art combines them all. Some people use the bicycle, often play baseball or football, some people run, others take long walks, but I do not need any of these things to develop my muscles. My work, my art, is developing every muscle of my body better than any of these exercises." - Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with  New York Times, 1910

I love how Pavlova just fired off that response to the reporter and explained it in detail, so there was no way of misinterpreting her words. Before the reporter can change the topic, she says that what is important to her is nature outside of her art.

"There is but one thing I love passionately, outside of my art, and that is nature. The cold, dreamy forests appeal to me, to my imagination. Tropical plants do not interest me so much. You cannot dream under palm trees. I like the melancholy note in nature, there seems to be so much poetry in it, and I forget myself, and I dream Poetry, dreams-- after all these are the only things worthwhile in life."- Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with New York Times, 1910

Once again, you will find the reporter changes topics; this probably because of their profession, or maybe they were under a time limit, or they found the conversation so esoteric they couldn't follow it. However, I found her description of her feelings of nature fascinating and shows how much of a visionary she was.


The reporter's topic changes to that of dancer Isadora Duncan now. There are many articles of Pavlova's view on Duncan and vice versa. Still, I don't always feel like Pavlova always wanted to discuss her when the interview was about Pavlova, not Duncan. I always felt like the media always wanted to stir up competition between the two dancers even though they were very different dancers with very different styles and art forms.  

"Stanislavsky is a great artist, and his theatre has done wonders. But Stanislavsky is not content with what he has already accomplished, and he is searching after new forms. He thinks highly of Miss Duncan's work; he respects her and is enthusiastic over her, and he wants her assistance in his experiments and efforts to perfect dramatic art. I believe that he is working in the right direction. The plastic element has been neglected in dramatic productions. I believe in progress, in going forward, forward. I believe that the ballet, for instance, should not adhere to the classical pieces only. I like to see the ballet reformed just as opera has been reformed by Wagner, who introduced live drama, live art into music.". - Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with the New York Time, 1910

I found this pretty interesting now; remember when I said I don't think she always liked to discuss the dancer Duncan.  This gesture brings that to light when Pavlova gracefully picks up some candy and swiftly changes the topic in the interview to New York and her view on marriage.

"You know, life here seems to be rushing at a maddening pace. It is like a crazy wheel, revolving with lightning like rapidity. I am afraid that it would be hard for me to keep pace with it. By the way, a young woman asked me about marriage . She wanted to know whether it was true that I haven't married because I have not had the time for it. In America that must seem strange, for here I understand-- one, two, three [snapping her fingers]- and you are married. There is no time to waste. And then -one, two, three-- and you are divorced. In Russia such an event in a person's life s considered slowly and carefully, the couple must know each other for a long time; they must find out whether their characters are suited for each other; they reflect; they deliberate; they go through the poetic period of wooing; and then they marry. In Russia such a step is indeed an event, and it really takes up much time, Besides, I believe that artists who are really devoted to their art should not think of marriage."- Quote from Anna Pavlova in her interview with New York Times, 1910

This quote shows how highly Pavlova saw her art as an artist and how she believed artists should sacrifice for their art. Her art was truly sacred to her. 

She also explained in Russia how they saw marriage as something sacred different from what she saw in America.  She saw Americans marry on a whim, and if the marriage didn't work out, they would respond with a divorce. But where she was from, that would not be the case because marriage was sacred in Russia. The person in Russia knew their future spouse for an extended time, so they knew their faults and positives, unlike in America when people sometimes married barely knowing each other. It shows the reflection of time during that period in both countries and their opposite views and cultures on marriage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anna Pavlova's Beloved Dogs

Anna Pavlova's Beloved Home The Ivy House