The Swan Ready to Spread Her Wings And Take Flight

Photo Caption: Anna Pavlova in Bakst Swan Lake Costume. With her left hand,
Pavlova supported herself by a post (later touched out) during the
long exposure time, 1909 from Anna Pavlova Her Life And Art By Keith Money

Anna Pavlova's success in Russia was monumental, but the young Pavlova of thirty was dreaming larger. Her enthusiasm and excitement were growing substantially, so she decided that now was the time to spread her wings and take flight on a new adventure, and she did, which she describes well her reasons in her own words.


"I have always secretly dreamed of spending the second half of my career abroad, and it has turned out that way... I have signed a contract in America and must leave St. Petersburg on the 3 September, so perhaps I shall have time to appear once before the public to say goodbye.

Of course, these two years will pass very quickly, like everything in life. Naturally I will be criticized for leaving the Maryinsky stage, but that is wrong. I personally am proud of my engagement- and I will get a huge fee. 

I worked honestly in St. Petersburg for ten years, and I shall leave behind the memory of myself as a good artiste and give young dancers an opportunity to perform all the best roles. At the same time I will show Russian art abroad; and, after two  or three years, while I am still young, I will have some capital and worldwide renown dancer." Quote from Anna Pavlova, St. Petersburg, Russia, 1910


Photo Credit: Anna Pavlova posing for a portrait in
St. Petersburg, 1910 from Pavlova Portrait Of A Dancer- Presented By Margot Fonteyn

 

I feel in her own words you could already tell she had a plan for her career. She knew what she wanted, and she went out and did it, which was very admirable. Instead of waiting for the perfect time to do what she wanted, she saw the current time she was living as the right time to start living her dreams. As a result, she fulfilled all her goals and had an influential impact on the dance world, and she did become a renowned dancer; everyone around the globe soon learned of ballet and the name of the influential and inspirational dancer, Anna Pavlova.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anna Pavlova's Beloved Dogs

New York Times Interview with Anna Pavlova Part 2

Anna Pavlova's Beloved Home The Ivy House